Mouatou Mouanoutoua M.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor, UCSF
Mouatou Mouanoutoua, M.D., specializes in cardiac consultation, cardiac catheterization, coronary angiography including angioplasty and stenting, peripheral vascular angiography, transthoracic echocardiography, transesophageal echocardiography with and without sedation, holter and event monitor interpretation. He received his board certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine, the American Heart Association and the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates.
Dr. Mouanoutoua completed his residency and fellowship training at Aurora Sinai/St. Luke’s Medical Centers, University of Wisconsin School – Milwaukee Campus. He attended the University of California, Irvine and Ross University School of Medicine. He trained at the University of the Pacific, School of Pharmacy.
He began his medical career as a pharmacist. He opened Tou’s Pharmacy in 1988 in Fresno and eventually sold the pharmacy in 1993 when he decided to attend medical school. Dr. Mouanoutoua has been described as a “pioneer” within the UCSF Fresno community as he was the first Hmong physician in Fresno County as of October 2005. Becoming a physician has provided Dr. Mouanoutoua with an expanded opportunity to take care of patients, especially the Hmong community, which has been underserved by cardiac specialists within their own nationality.
Education and Training
- University of California, Irvine School of Medicine
- Ross University School of Medicine
- University of the Pacific, School of Pharmacy
- Aurora Sinai/St. Luke’s Medical Centers, University of Wisconsin, Residency
- Aurora Sinai/St. Luke’s Medical Centers, University of Wisconsin, Fellowship
Licensure & Certifications
- CA State Medical License
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Heart Association
- Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates
Research and Publications
- Ambrose J.A., Lardizabal J., Mouanoutoua M., Buhari C.F., Berg R., Joshi B., El-Sherief K., Wessel R., Singh M., Kiel R. Femoral micropuncture or routine introducer study (FEMORIS). Cardiology. 2014;129(1):39-43. doi: 10.1159/000362536. Epub 2014 Jul 9.
- Javed U., Aftab W., Ambrose J.A., Wessel R.J., Mouanoutoua M., Huang G., Barua R.S., Weilert M., Sy F., Thatai D. Frequency of elevated troponin I and diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2009 Jul 1;104(1):9-13. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2009.03.003. Epub 2009 May 4.
- Sheikh M.Y., Mouanoutoua M., Walvick M.D., Khang L., Singh J., Stoltz S., Mills P.K. Prevalence of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection among Hmong immigrants in the San Joaquin Valley. J Community Health. 2011 Feb;36(1):42-6. doi: 10.1007/s10900-010-9283-0.