Michael W. Peterson M.D.
- Associate Dean, UCSF
- Chief of Medicine, UCSF Fresno
- Vice Chair of Medicine, UCSF
- Valley Medical Foundation Endowed Professor, UCSF
University Centers of Excellence Provider
Dr. Peterson oversees the continued development of UCSF Fresno’s clinical and academic programs as Associate Dean at UCSF Fresno.
He was named associate dean in April 2016, and served as interim associate dean since January 2015. He has been chief of medicine at UCSF Fresno for the past 15 years and he serves as vice chair in the Department of Medicine at UCSF.
His clinical and research focus is in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Peterson was recruited from the University of Iowa College of Medicine in 2002. During his tenure in Fresno, he oversaw growth of the Medical Residency Program from 45 trainees to its current 68 trainees, the development of seven subspecialties with 37 fellows, and led fundraising efforts to build the UCSF Fresno Clinical Research Center.
Dr. Peterson received both his undergraduate and medical degrees from the University of Minnesota, completed his residency in internal medicine at the University of Wisconsin, and completed his fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of Iowa.
He is a Master of the American College of Physicians, a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians, and a leading member of the California Thoracic Society, the largest state organization of lung specialists in the United States. He was also a founding member, councilor, and president for the Association of Chiefs and Chairs of Medicine. He is a busy physician and teacher, and has won numerous awards in both areas, including being named the Recipient of the Kaiser Award for Teaching and one of America’s Best Doctors every year since 2010.
Education & Medical Training
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship; University of Iowa
- Internal Medicine Residency; University of Wisconsin
- Medical School; University of Minnesota
- Biology B.A.; University of Minnesota
Certifications & Licensure
- California State Medical License
- American Board of Internal Medicine – General Certification
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Critical Care Medicine Certification
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Pulmonary Disease Certification
Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care Medicine Physicians
Internal Medicine, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, and Interventional Pulmonology