Thimmaiah Theethira M.D., DM
Gastroenterology, Celiac Disease, Gluten Related Disorders
Thimmaiah Theethira, M.D., DM, is fellowship trained in Gastroenterology and board certified in Internal Medicine.
He earned his medical degree from Mysore Medical College. He completed his Internal Medicine Residency at Cleveland Clinic Health System and finished his clinical research fellowship in Celiac Disease at Harvard Medical School. His fellowship in Gastroenterology was completed at University of California, San Francisco, Fresno.
Besides his professional interest in general gastroenterology, Dr. Theethira has received additional training in the management of Celiac Disease and gluten related disorders.
Dr. Theethira has been published in many publications including the American Journal of Gastroenterology and Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology.
His hobbies include traveling, cooking, and hiking. He is fluent in Hindi.
- Best PGY 2 Resident for the year 2010, Internal Medicine Residency program, Cleveland, Ohio
- Best PGY 1 Resident for the year 2009, Internal Medicine Residency program, Cleveland, Ohio
- Best outgoing Internal Medicine resident – KMC India
- Winner of the ACP Ohio Chapter –Doctor’s Dilemma competition
- Winner of the ACP Ohio Chapter – Doctor’s Dilemma competition
- ACP- Ohio representative in the Nationwide Doctor’s Dilemma competition in ACP 2011 held in San Diego
- ACP- Ohio representative in the Nationwide Doctor’s Dilemma competition in ACP 2010 held in Toronto
Education and Training
- Gastroenterology Fellowship; University of California, San Francisco, Fresno
- Celiac Disease Clinical Research Fellowship; Harvard Medical School
- Internal Medicine Residency; Cleveland Clinic Health System
- Neurology Fellowship; Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital
- Internal Medicine Residency; Kasturba Medical College
- Medical School; Mysore Medical College
Licensure & Certifications
- California State Medical License
- American Board of Internal Medicine Certification
Research and Publications
- Patel I, Wungjiranirun M, Theethira T, Villafuerte-Galvez J, Castillo N, Akbari M, Alonso CD, Leffler DA, Kelly CP. Lack of adherence to SHEA-IDSA treatment guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection is associated with increased mortality. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017 Feb; 72(2):574-581.
- Castillo NE, Vanga RR, Theethira TG, Rubio-Tapia A, Murray JA, Villafuerte J, Bonder A, Mukherjee R, Hansen J, Dennis M, Kelly CP, Leffler DA. Prevalence of abnormal liver function tests in celiac disease and the effect of a gluten-free diet in the US population. Am J Gastroenterol. 2015 Aug; 110 (8):1216-22
- Oza SS, Akbari M, Kelly CP, Hansen J, Theethira T, Tariq S, Dennis M, Leffler DA. Socioeconomic Risk Factors for Celiac Disease Burden and Symptoms. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2016 Apr; 50 (4):307-12.
- Shields K, Araujo-Castillo RV, Theethira TG, Alonso CD, Kelly. Recurrent Clostridium difficile infection: From colonization to cure. Anaerobe. 2015 Aug; 34:59-73
- Theethira TG, Kelly CP. Coeliac disease. Missing villi? The search for coeliac disease in the Asia-Pacific region. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Apr; 11(4):204-5
- Theethira TG, Dennis M, Leffler DA. Nutritional consequences of celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Feb; 8(2):123-9
- Shah S, Akbari M, Vanga R, Kelly CP, J Hansen H, Theethira TG, Sohaib T, Dennis M, Leffler DA. Patient Perception of Treatment Burden is high in Celiac Disease Compared to Other Common Conditions. Am J Gastroenterol. 2014 Sep; 109(9):1304-11.
- Navaneethan U, Parasa S, Venkatesh PGK, Ganapathi TT, Kiran RP, Shen B. Impact of inflammatory bowel disease and post- cholecystectomy complications and hospitalization costs: A Nationwide Inpatient Sample study. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Jun; 7(5):e164-70.
- Theethira TG, Dennis M. Celiac disease and the gluten free diet: consequences and recommendations for improvement. Dig Dis. 2015; 33(2):175-82
- Castillo NE, Theethira TG, Leffler DA. The present and the future in the diagnosis and management of celiac disease. Gastroenterol Rep 2015 Feb; 3(1):3-11.
- Basu R, Theethira TG, Chawla JM, Schlicht P, Fagiolini A, Brar JS, Khan SA, Challa A, Chengappa KNR. (2009, August 16). Changes in Metabolic Syndrome parameters in patients with schizoaffective disorder who participated in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of Topiramate. Asian J Psychiatr. 2009 Oct; 2(3):106-11.
- Jain S, Chawla JM, Theethira TG, Strassnig M, Chengappa KNR. (2008, December 15). Changes in cigarette consumption in psychiatric patients: impact on side-effects or the efficacy of clozapine and olanzapine. Acta Neuropsychiatr. 2008 Dec; 20(6): 324–36
- Theethira TG, Ravat SH, Shah PU, Oak PJ, Godge YR, Chengappa KNR. (2009, March 1). Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis presenting as schizophreniform disorder. Acta Neuropsychiatr. 2009 Feb; 21(1):45-47
UCSF Fresno Department of Internal Medicine