Thianchai Bunnalai M.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, UCSF
- Medical Director, CRMC Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Thianchai Bunnalai, M.D., is board certified in General Pediatrics and Pediatric Critical Care by the American Board of Pediatrics.
His areas of interest include pulmonary medicine, ventilatory strategies, ventilator-associated pneumonia, medical education, and simulation.
Thianchai Bunnalai, M.D., received his medical degree with honors from Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University in Bangkok, Thailand. After obtaining his Pediatric Pulmonology fellowship training in Bangkok, Thailand, Dr. Bunnalai completed Pediatric Residency and a second fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine at the College of Medicine, University of Florida.
He worked as a pediatric intensivist and cardiac intensivist attending at Shands Children’s Hospital at University of Florida in Gainesville after he graduated residency. He was appointed the title of Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Florida. He also directed fellowship education and the fiber optic simulation program in Critical Care. He received the Exemplary Teacher Award in 2012 and Service Key Recognition Award from the College of Medicine, University of Florida during 2011-2014. Dr. Bunnalai relocated to California and worked at Valley Children’s Hospital during 2014-2016 where he served as Academic Chief in the Critical Care Division. Dr. Bunnalai joined UCSF faculty in August 2016 and currently he serves as a medical director of pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) at Community Regional Medical Center and pediatric critical care interim division chief at UCSF Fresno.
Thianchai Bunnalai, M.D., is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Society of Critical Care Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Chest Physician and American Thoracic Society.
In his free time, he enjoys traveling, outdoor sports, swimming, photography, and cooking. He is fluent in English and Thai.
Education & Medical Training
- University of Florida College of Medicine, Shands Children’s Hospital; Pediatric Residency
- University of Florida College of Medicine, Shands Children’s Hospital; Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Clinical Fellowship
- Faculty of Medicine, King Chulalongkom University; Pediatric Pulmonology Fellowship
- Faculty of Medicine, King Chulalongkom University; Pediatric Residency
- Faculty of Medicine, King Chulalongkom University; M.S.
- Metro West Medical Center; Internal Medicine Clinical Clerkship
- Faculty of Medicine, Mahidol University; Doctorate of Medicine (Honors)
Certifications & Licensure
- California State Medical License
- American Board of Pediatrics Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics – Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Certification
- Basic Radiation Safety Training Course – Authorized Radioactive Material user
Pediatric Congenital Heart Disease, Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Pulmonary Hypertension