Sarah Stender M.D., FAAP, CDE
- Clinical Professor, UCSF
Dr. Stender is board certified in Pediatrics and subspecialty board certified in Adolescent Medicine, with further formal training in psychiatry, diabetes, obesity and its associated conditions.
She completed her undergraduate education at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee with a major in English, and received her medical school training at the Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina. She interned at University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences Chattanooga, Tennessee, followed by formal residency training in Psychiatry at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, Tennessee. Dr. Stender completed her residency training in Pediatrics in North Carolina at East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina including electives at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and a general Pediatric supervisory role at the UNC Moses Cone Hospital Pediatric Teaching Service, Greensboro, North Carolina.
A SC native, for many years she chaired the SC American Academy of Pediatrics Adolescent Subsection, was active in child advocacy through membership in its Legislative Affairs Committee, and was Child Advocay Chair for the Junior League of Charleston focusing on health care access and immunizations.
Among many memberships, she is a member of the national AAP subsection on Adolescent Medicine and the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, having been president-elect for the SE region. She is a champion of nature for the National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF).
She deeply values her Christian walk in faith. In Dr. Stender’s free time she enjoys: swimming, sailing, being outdoors (both mountains and beach),music, reading, writing, and: “all-things- family –and- friends,” especially her two young adult daughters.
Education & Medical Training
- Residency – Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, Moses Cone Hospital Pediatric Teaching Service, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Residency – Pediatrics, East Carolina University – Greenville, North Carolina
- Residency – Psychiatry, University of Tennessee Health Science Center – Memphis, Tennessee
- Internship – Pediatrics, University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Medical School – MD, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
- Undergraduate – BA, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
Certifications & Licensure
- California State Medical License
- Basic Life Support
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- Certified Diabetes Educator
Pediatric Congenital Heart Disease, Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Pulmonary Hypertension