Lourdes DelRosso MD, Ph.D., MS
- Professor of Family and Community Medicine, UCSF
Lourdes DelRosso, MD, Ph.D., MS, is a sleep physician and Professor of Family and Community Medicine at UCSF.
As a child in Peru, Dr. DelRosso knew she was destined to become a physician and work with families and communities focusing on public health, social issues, and mental health. Dr. DelRosso has spent her professional career expanding the boundaries of global sleep health. She has been involved in Haiti as part of the 2010 earthquake relief program and was the director of a 2020 World Sleep Day initiative to improve children’s sleep in a community in Haiti.
She earned her medical degree at the University of Miami; completed a residency in family medicine at Kaiser Permanente, through UC Irvine, a sleep medicine fellowship at Louisiana State University, and earned a master’s degree in medical education at the University of Pennsylvania and the Valencia International University in Spain. Dr. DelRosso earned her Ph.D. at the University of Portsmouth in the United Kingdom.
Dr. DelRosso has traveled to the Dominican Republic with the Global Outreach team of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia to train community health workers. In California, she has trained community health workers in an early intervention program for children 5 years and younger. Dr. DelRosso has also been active in global sleep initiatives, such as the 2019 Latin American Symposium on Diversity and Inclusion, the 2020 Symposium on Global Sleep Medicine, and in recent years as the co-chair of the World Sleep Day committee.
She is dedicated entirely to the field of pediatric sleep medicine, including education, clinical care, and research. Dr. DelRosso is involved nationally in the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and internationally in sleep medicine courses in Latin America.
Dr. DelRosso’s area of research focuses on restless sleep and restless legs syndrome. She leads an international task force to establish the diagnostic criteria for restless sleep disorder. Dr. DelRosso is the lead author of “Pediatric Sleep Pearls” and editor of “Sleep Neurology: A comprehensive guide to basic and clinical aspects.”
Active in the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Dr. DelRosso chairs the International Members Taskforce and is part of the AASM Scoring Manual Editorial Team.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Philosophy – University of Portsmouth – Portsmouth, United Kingdom
- Master of Science – Valencia International University – Valencia, Spain
- Master of Science – University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, PA
- Sleep Medicine Fellowship – Louisiana State University Health – New Orleans, LA
- Family Medicine Residency – University of California, Irvine – Kaiser Permanente – Irvine, CA
- Intern, Family Medicine – University of California, Irvine – Kaiser Permanente – Irvine, CA
- Doctor of Medicine – University of Miami – Miami, FL
- Bachelor of Science – Barry University – Miami, FL
Licensure & Certifications
- American Board of Family Medicine
- American Board of Family Medicine – Sleep Medicine
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- International Pediatric Sleep Association
- Narcolepsy Network
- University of Washington Explore and Focus Committee