Krista Kaups M.D., MSC, FACS
- Professor of Clinical Surgery, UCSF
- Director, Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Community Regional Medical Center
- Program Director, UCSF Fresno Surgical Critical Care Fellowship Program
General Surgery, Critical Care Surgery
Krista L. Kaups, MD, MSc, FACS, is a Professor of Clinical Surgery, Department of Surgery at the University of California San Francisco Fresno, Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit at Community Regional Medical Center and the Program Director of the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the UCSF Fresno Center for Medical Education and Research.
Dr. Kaups received her bachelors degree in Biochemistry at Bethel University, St. Paul, Minnesota, and her medical degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago. Her general surgery internship and residency were completed at the MSU Southwest Michigan Area Health Education Center; Kalamazoo, Michigan. Following residency, Dr. Kaups completed a Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, Massachusetts, followed by a year of research. Dr. Kaups later completed an MSc in Public Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Dr. Kaups has participated in a number of international volunteer clinical and teaching opportunities in countries including South Sudan, Kenya, Afghanistan, Albania, Sierra Leone and Thailand. Among the topics she has taught have been trauma courses for the developing world, ventilator use for the non-intensivist, ICU care in the developing world, sepsis, surgical error, clostridium difficile, and burn care.
Dr. Kaups is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine, the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, the Western Trauma Association, Surgical Critical Care Program Directors Society, Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, the Southwest Surgical Association, and the International Surgical Society/IATSIC. She serves on a number of committees and workgroups in these organizations.
Education and Training
- London School of Hygiene and Topical Medicine; Public Health MSc
- University of Massachusetts Medical Center; Surgical Laboratory Research Training
- University of Massachusetts Medical Center; Surgical Critical Care Fellowship
- MSU Southwest Michigan Area Health Education Center; General Surgery Residency
- University of Illinois College of Medicine; Medical School
- Bethel University; magna cum laude Biochemistry B.A.
Licensure & Certifications
- California State Medical License
- American Board of Surgery Certification
- American Board of Surgery – Surgical Critical Care Certification