Glenn Matfin MSc (Oxon), MB ChB, FRCP Edinburgh
- Chief of Medicine, UCSF Fresno
- Valley Medical Foundation Endowed Chair in Medicine, UCSF Fresno
- Vice-Chair of Medicine, Department of Medicine, UCSF
- Professor of Clinical Medicine, UCSF
Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism, and Internal Medicine.
Glenn Matfin, MSc (Oxon), MB ChB, FRCP Edin, is board certified in internal medicine and diabetes, endocrinology, and metabolism.
As a physician with more than 35 years of experience in medicine, Dr. Matfin brings a wealth of knowledge to his role as UCSF Fresno Chief of Medicine.
Dr. Matfin obtained his postgraduate medical training in the U.K. and U.S. During his initial clinical training in general medicine, endocrinology, and diabetes in the U.K., Dr. Matfin gained his Membership of the Royal College of Physicians. Dr. Matfin then moved to the U.S. in July 1994 to undertake additional internal medicine training as a Senior Medical Resident and Chief Medical Resident at the University of South Florida, Tampa. He also did a clinical fellowship in endocrinology and diabetes at the same institution.
His final year of U.S. clinical fellowship training in endocrinology and diabetes was at the National Institutes of Health, NIDDK Phoenix Branch, working with Pima American Indians, and at the University of Arizona in Phoenix.
Dr. Matfin has trained or worked in several of the most significant clinical and research endocrine and diabetes centers globally. His clinical and research interests include all aspects diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and associated cardiovascular complications.
Dr. Matfin is also an accomplished author in the medical community. He has published numerous peer-reviewed articles, abstracts, and book chapters. Additionally, he has also edited several books, including Endocrine and Metabolic Emergencies published by the U.S. Endocrine Society in 2014 and 2018. More recently, he edited a book on internal medicine emergencies published by Wiley in 2022.
Dr. Matfin stays updated on current medical trends by continually participating in cutting-edge research. He was an investigator in the landmark study on Type 1 diabetes, DCCT/EDIC; as well as EMPA-REG and LEADER outcome studies (latter studies published in New England Journal of Medicine).
As an avid clinician-educator, Dr. Matfin understands the excellent foundation of any physician starts with a strong education and has an extensive record of successful and well-received undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical course development. He received the Harvard Medical School Academy Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence in Tutoring Award. Having practiced medicine in several different regions of the world, Dr. Matfin understands the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and has mentored numerous medical students, residents and faculty. Prior to joining Central California Faculty Medical Group and the UCSF faculty at UCSF Fresno as the Chief of Medicine, Dr. Matfin was a Professor of Medicine at MBRU College of Medicine in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
When Dr. Matfin is not in the office caring for patients, teaching the next generation of health care leaders, or working on innovative research, you can find him hiking around the Central Valley.
Education and Training
- Master of Science, Experimental Therapeutics – University of Oxford – Oxford, UK
- Clinical Fellowship, Endocrinology and Diabetes – University of Arizona/National Institutes of Health – Phoenix, AZ
- Clinical Fellowship, Endocrinology and Diabetes – University of South Florida – Tampa, FL
- Internal Medicine Residency – University of South Florida – Tampa, FL
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Distinction in Biochemistry – University of Leeds – Leeds, UK
Licensure & Certifications
- American Board of Internal Medicine Certification
- American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism