Alexandra “Jana” Freeman MD
Alexandra “Jana” Freeman, MD, is fellowship trained in gynecology oncology.
Dr. Freeman attended Yale University, graduating with academic distinction to earn her Bachelor of Arts in the History of Science and History of Medicine. During her undergraduate degree, Dr. Freeman also served as the captain of the Yale University volleyball team, helping to lead her team to the first Ivy League Championship since 1978 and the first NCAA tournament victory in Ivy League volleyball history.
After earning her bachelor’s degree, Dr. Freeman attended a post-baccalaureate pre-medical school program at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. To obtain her Doctor of Medicine, Dr. Freeman attended the George Washington University School of Medicine, where she was elected to be the class of 2013’s graduation speaker. Dr. Freeman then completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco. With a passion for caring for women with gynecologic cancer, Dr. Freeman pursued subspecialization training in gynecologic oncology with a fellowship program at the University of California, San Francisco. Here she was trained in complex surgeries, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery, tumor debulking procedures, as well as chemotherapy and immunotherapy for gynecologic cancer.
Dr. Freeman is incredibly active in the academic community. She has authored and co-authored numerous peer-reviewed articles, co-authored a book chapter, and been a peer reviewer of three different scientific publications. In addition to her academic endeavors, Dr. Freeman has conducted multiple research studies. Her research interests include access to cancer screening, hereditary cancer syndromes, and improving surgical outcomes for patients.
If you were to ask Dr. Freeman why she became a gynecologic oncologist, she would say she is grateful for the honor to care for women of all ages to help them navigate new cancer diagnoses, surgery, and cancer survivorship. When Dr. Freeman isn’t in the office providing the highest-quality care for patients, you can find her hiking and backpacking to alpine lakes, playing classical piano, and spending quality time with her husband.
Dr. Freeman is fluent in Spanish.
Education and Training
- Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship – University of California, San Francisco / Kaiser Permanente – San Francisco, CA
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency –Kaiser Permanente – San Francisco, CA
- Doctor of Medicine – George Washington University – Washington, DC
- Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program – Johns Hopkins University– Baltimore, MD
- Bachelor of Arts, History of Science; History of Medicine – Yale University – New Haven, CT
Licensure & Certifications
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- California Medical License
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- American Medical Association