Ultrasonographer – University Perinatal Associates
The Diagnostic Medical Sonographer is qualified by professional credentialing and academic and clinical experience to provide diagnostic patient care services using ultrasound and related diagnostic procedures. The scope of practice of the Diagnostic Medical Sonographer includes those procedures, acts and processes permitted by law, for which the individual has received education and clinical experience, has demonstrated competency, and has completed the appropriate ARDMS certification(s) which is the standard of practice in ultrasound.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• Graduate of a formal Diagnostic Medical Sonography program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) is required.
• Associate or Bachelor of Science degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, desired.
o Minimum one or more years of sonography experience
o Experience in OB/Perinatal sonography.
o Current compliance with Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements for specialty (ies) as appropriate.
o Completion of CCFMG skills verification.
o Current Registry certification through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) in OB.
o Current certification through the NTQR for nuchal translucency.
o Ability to train Medical Students, Residents and Ultrasound Interns
Specific Scanning Skills:
o Ability to perform an Umbilical and MCA Doppler evaluation.
o Ability to perform a Fetal Anatomical evaluation verified by Perinatal MD and Lead Sonographer.
o Ability to perform more complex evaluations without supervision.
o Bilingual – English/Spanish preferred.
o Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, instrumentation, basic physics, patient care, and medical ethics.
o Knowledge of safety, infection control, and quality improvement practices.
o Skill in communication and interpersonal interactions.
o Ability to effectively operate sonographic equipment.
o Ability to evaluate sonograms in order to acquire appropriate diagnostic information.
o Ability to use independent judgment to acquire the optimum diagnostic sonographic information in each examination performed.
o Ability to communicate effectively and explain technical procedures and results to patients.
o Ability to follow established departmental procedures.
o Ability to work efficiently and cope with emergency situations.
o Ability to use correct body mechanics to assist patients appropriately
Specific Scanning Skills:
o Ability to perform a viability or first trimester pregnancy.
o Ability to perform a Nuchal Translucency scan.
o Ability to perform a Biophysical evaluation.
o Ability to perform a Fetal Biometric evaluation.
o Ability to perform an Umbilical Doppler evaluation.
• Performs all requested sonographic examinations as ordered by the attending physician.
• Uses cognitive sonographic skills to identify, record, and adapt procedures as appropriate to anatomical, pathological, diagnostic information and images.
• Independently uses judgment during the sonographic exam to accurately differentiate between normal and pathologic findings.
• Explains the procedure to patient and records any medical history that may be relevant to the condition being evaluated.
• Selects images to show the physician for diagnostic purposes. Takes measurements, calculates values, and synthesizes the results in preliminary reports for the physicians.
• Maintains ultrasound equipment and work area and maintains adequate supplies.
• Organizes daily work schedule and performs related clerical duties as required.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Complies with safety, infection control, and quality improvement policies and procedures.