Respiratory Therapist – University Pulmonary Associates
JOB PURPOSE: A position primarily responsible for performing pulmonary function tests (PFTs).
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• Associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree in respiratory therapy or cardiopulmonary technology from a California accredited school, or equivalent required.
• Minimum one year experience as Respiratory Therapist or Certified Pulmonary Function Technician performing PFTs required.
• Minimum six months of medical office practice experience preferred.
• Current California Respiratory Therapist license or Pulmonary Function Technician certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Current knowledge of therapeutic and diagnostic procedures and tests, equipment, and patient assessment.
• Knowledge of current safety and infection control practices and techniques required for treatment of this special patient population.
• Skill in medical record keeping to measure patient progress.
• Skill in safe use of respiratory therapy equipment including adherence to safety precautions and regular maintenance, calibration and testing of equipment to minimize the risk of injury and maintain quality.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with physicians and other clinicians.
• Ability to deal compassionately with anxious patients who may have life-threatening illnesses.
•Conducts diagnostic tests and Pulmonary Function Studies including checking breathing capacity and determining the concentration of oxygen and other gases in patients’ blood using non-invasive methods.
•Trouble shoots and maintains equipment as required including appropriate calibration to ensure high quality.
•Cleans PFT equipment and restocks supplies.
•Performs equipment downloads following proper office procedural guidelines and protocols.
•Complies with safety, infection control, and quality improvement policies and practices.
•Accurately documents patient care for medical records.
•Orders supplies required to perform job functions.
•Provides back-up assistance in other areas as needed including instructing patients in proper inhaler technique as requested.