Referral Coordinator – University Medicine Associates
JOB PURPOSE: A nonexempt position acting as the first contact for referring physician offices and new patients to the practice. Position is responsible for securing authorizations and referrals for all patients’ visits within the practice; coordinating and tracking all outside appointments, authorizations and referrals as requested by the practice physicians for outside diagnostic testing, specialty provider referrals, and services such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Completion of a two-year medical office assistant program.
• Minimum two years experience in a referral coordinator role.
• Experience in a multi-specialty practice preferred.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, authorization and referral processes.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
• Bilingual- English/Spanish speaking preferred.
• Skill in organizational techniques including time management, prioritization, multitasking and problem solving.
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skills required.
• Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to use multi-line phone system, including transferring calls.
• Ability to provide consistent follow through to guarantee completion of all outside patient testing, services and appointments.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, physicians, other clinical staff and the public.
• Involves sitting approximately 80 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder.
• Some bending, stooping, and must be able to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephone systems, etc.
• Position is in a well-lighted office environment.
• Verifies and secures authorizations/referrals for all visits within the practice, prior to patient appointments.
• Coordinates all outside referrals, appointments and authorizations requested by practice physicians for outside diagnostic testing, specialty provider referrals, and any services such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
• Schedules, tracks, and communicates with patients to ensure completion of all physician referrals for outside services and testing.
• Schedules adequate follow up appointments per physicians’ orders.
• Performs statistical tracking of referrals to ensure consistent follow through and guarantees completion of all outside patient testing, services and appointments.
• Assists with coordination of day-to-day front office operations to ensure exceptional patient throughput.
• Assists with chart preparation, checking out patients and schedules future appointments/referrals as ordered.
• Uses customer service principles and techniques to deal with patients, physicians and medical office staff calmly and pleasantly.
• Develops and maintains positive and professional relationships with outside referral sources and facilities.
• Assures patients are given timely access to the practice.
• Performs other administrative tasks and/or projects required to meet performance and customer services standards.