Medical Scribe – University Rheumatology Associates
• To facilitate patient flow through the practice site and aid in ensuring an accurate and complete medical record for each patient.
• High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED).
• Recent graduate of or currently attending an accredited college or university pursuing a degree in pre-med or other related field preferred OR
• Two years’ experience in a medical office preferred.
• Experience with Electronic Health Records and medical coding training or certification preferred.
• Previous experience as a medical scribe desired.
• Working knowledge or ability to learn medical terminology, accepted abbreviations, and medical office procedures.
• Recognition of physical exam process and ability to record exam details in medical record.
• Skill in organizational matters, including time management, prioritization, multitasking, and problem solving.
• Legible handwriting and ability to accurately record information.
• Computer proficiency and ability to quickly learn new software applications.
• Organizational skills with focus on tracking patient care and improving patient flow.
• Ability to type using word-processing software. Able to learn/use other computer programs including e-mail, Internet, EPIC for electronic medical records.
• Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective/professional working relationships with patients, physicians and other clinical staff, and the public.
• Professional demeanor and recognition of privacy considerations for patients and families.
• Standard medical exam/office equipment, which may include computerized health information management system for medical records, etc.
• Medical exam/treatment rooms setting.
• Controlled lighting, acoustics, air quality, and temperature settings.
• Environmental hazards may be unpredictable including exposure to communicable diseases and biohazards.
• Involves standing and walking approximately 80 percent of the day, sitting the remainder. Some bending, stooping, and lifting up to 15 pounds.
• Repetitive motion work with keyboards and physical writing.
• Flexibility in scheduling.
• Assists the medical provider by accompanying medical provider during the medical history-taking and exam of patient; accurately and thoroughly records details of medical history and medical exam into the patient’s medical record; and coordinates departmental resources regarding tests, orders, radiology and results.
• Tracks the orders for each patient, records results and notifies medical provider of results as it arrives.
• List all proper diagnoses and symptoms as well as follow up instructions and prescriptions as dictated by the physician.
• Transcribe patient orders including laboratory tests, radiology tests, medications, etc.
• Document any procedures performed by the physician.