Medical Records Specialist – Compliance Department
JOB PURPOSE: A nonexempt position responsible for receiving and processing requests for patient records, in an accurate, timely and complete manner; and for supporting medical recordkeeping and HIPAA compliance in the practice.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Completion of a two-year medical front office assistant program preferred.
• Minimum two years of medical records clerk experience, preferably in medical practice setting.
o Knowledge of medical terminology.
o Basic knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
o Bilingual English Spanish, preferred.
o Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
o Ability to sort and file materials correctly using alphabetic or numeric systems.
o Ability to analyze medical records for completeness and accuracy, paying attention to detail.
o Ability to schedule time and assignments effectively.
• Perform assigned medical recordkeeping and maintenance functions; including but not limited to creating and maintaining filing systems and other tools for tracking and processing medical records information; retrieving records and purging files on a regular basis.
• Assists to requests outside medical records as needed by practice physicians.
• Receives, tracks and processes all requests for records in accordance with company policies and procedures. Seeks support and clarification when indicated.
• Timely provides copies of records to patients or their designee’s upon request.
• Assists to train and support practice staff in implementing medical recordkeeping best practices, and maintain HIPAA compliance.
• Acts in a manner supporting organizational values and excellent customer service.
• Performs other administrative duties as assigned.