Medical Coding Specialist – Patient Account Services
Job Summary: Responsible for coding from medical records to identify revenue opportunities and to ensure documentation compliance. Works closely with departments to optimize reimbursement, ensure charge capture, reduce late charges and provide feedback to providers.
• Three to five years of ICD-10-CM, CPT-4, HCPSC, medical record charting, insurance billing and reimbursement.
• Experience coding for neurology and pulmonary, highly desired.
• CPC certification equivalent; specialty certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong understanding of current regulatory coding requirements, reimbursement and billing process for services rendered in a teaching facility, medical office, hospital or Skilled Nursing Facility.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to identify problems and find creative and effective solutions.
• Ability to research and follow up on issues.
• Proficiency testing for baseline assessment.
• Involves sitting approximately 80 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder.
• Performs abstracting from medical records.
• Applies CPT-4, ICD-10-CM, HCPCS and modifiers following coding guidelines.
• Understands current regulatory coding requirements which include Federal, State and local guidelines.
• Improves cash flow due to filing of “clean” claims by utilizing correct coding practices.
• Provides feedback to physicians related to revenue opportunities.
• Ensures all services are accounted for and billed.
• Involves working closely with physicians.
• Keeps abreast of research projects within the department.