Medical Call Center Representative
Primary focus is to provide excellent customer service and courtesy to all incoming calls at our Centralized Call Center. The responsibility of our representatives is to serve as the initial point of contact for patients calling our UCOE for health related concerns or questions. This consists of screening phone calls for all other departments, route calls as appropriate within established guidelines. This representative is responsible for scheduling and rescheduling appointments, facilitating prescription refill requests, answering general questions, conducts appointment call reminders, and coordinates with office staff to resolve caller inquiries. This representative is also responsible for documenting and reporting all incoming and outgoing telephone calls through the Epic EHR system. Ensures that required information is obtained in order to pre-register patients. Representative must be able to identify any scheduling conflicts and take appropriate action to ensure smooth patient flows and the highest level of resource utilization possible.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• 2 years of experience in a healthcare setting and/or customer service
• Multi-line phone handling experience.
• Call center experience, medical call center preferred.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Basic knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
• Bilingual English/Spanish a plus or required.
• Customer service oriented
• Excellent telephone etiquette
• Excellent listening and customer service and interpersonal skills.
• Team player
• Strong relationship management skills must be able to multitask and be able to diffuse difficult situations
• Positive professional understanding.
• Flexibility and dependability.
• Strong computer skills.
• Demonstrates good problem-solving skills; sound judgment
• Modern office practices and procedures including email (Outlook, Excel, Word)
• Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks
• Ability to use multi-line phone system, including transferring calls.
• Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to speak clearly and loudly enough to be heard and understood by callers and patients.
• Ability to establish effective working relationships with patients, employees, physicians and the public.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to articulate complex information
• Flexible mentality; willing and capable of performing varied tasks and adapting to change
• Able to work in a team environment
• Excellent customer service skills
• Proficient computer knowledge
• Ability to work in a “call center” environment: work quickly and multi-task
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task and manage a high volume of calls
• Must have interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate effectively with physicians, patients, co-workers, administrative staff and others.
• Must maintain professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
• Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
• Position in a well lighted office environment. Frequent contract with a variety of people.
• Involves sitting approximately 80 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder. Some bending, stooping, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
• Providing outstanding customer service to internal and external customers
• Respond to incoming phones calls for all sites promptly and in an exceptional quality manner.
• Appropriately schedule patient appointments based on specific UCOE and physician guidelines.
• Review patient appointment information and expectations of visit on each call
• Clearly and concisely document every patient request and pertinent information via Epic so that the practice can successfully respond to patient needs.
• Through appropriate call control, ensure that calls are handled efficiently to attain daily call production goals.
• Act as a liaison for the patients and the clinic
• Provide assistance with other projects as call volume permits
• Utilizes protocol for patient look up to ensure accurate identification of patient to ensure data integrity and patient safety.
• Greets all incoming callers and responds to inquiry, directs caller to appropriate personnel or coordinates with office staff to resolve issues by telephone calls.
• Schedules appointments for patients according to specific scheduling guidelines and/or written protocols.
• Overall knowledge of the revenue cycle process, from appointment scheduling, registration, insurance verification, pre-certification, billing, payer contracts.
• Records information into practice management system.
• Reporting any potential customer concerns or complaints immediately to supervisor.
• Reviews patient demographics, verifies accuracy and ensures information is current and correctly recorded.
• Answers questions the caller may have regarding UCOE office policies and procedures.
• Connect the caller to UCOE resources, programs and services provided within the organization.
• Work cooperatively with all staff members and outside sources in a professional manner to deliver high quality level of service.
• Perform other related duties that may not be listed in this job description.