Medical Assistant – University Pediatric Specialists
JOB PURPOSE: A nonexempt position responsible for preparing patients for exams and procedures; assisting physicians with surgeries and procedures; taking necessary vital signs and measurements; obtaining and processing lab specimens; scheduling appointments, tests and procedures; assisting physician in any other way to ensure effective patient flow.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Graduation from an accredited two-year medical assistant program.
Experience & Certifications:
• Two years work related experience required.
• Current CPR certification required.
• Experience in a pediatric office preferred.
• Certified California Medical Assistant preferred.
• Knowledge of health care field, medical terminology and medical office protocols & procedures.
• Knowledge of specific assisting tasks related to the particular specialty medical practice.
• Basic knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
• Bi-lingual English / Spanish preferred.
• Skill in performing medical assistant tasks appropriately and within the Medical Assistant Scope of Practice.
• Tact and diplomacy with interpersonal interactions.
• Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and complete designated tasks.
• Ability to demonstrate compassion and patience when dealing with patients and patient’s families.
• Ability to project a pleasant and professional image.
• Welcomes patients, visitors, physicians and staff in a warm, friendly and professional manner.
• Rooms patients upon arrival, documenting patient’s vital signs and chief complaint in the patient’s chart. Confirms current medication list and any additional information as instructed by the physician.
• Assumes responsibility for assisting physicians with procedures and tests as directed by the Medical Board of California.
• Two days prior to patient’s appointment, reviews patient’s chart and checks that all pertinent information is up-to-date including current referrals and test results.
• Obtains any imaging CD’s and files for physician to evaluate patient, prior to patient’s visit.
• Orders outside testing, obtaining any authorization needed and notifies patient of scheduled appointments.
• Maintains any required documentation in Excel spreadsheet “testing” log.
• Reviews charts at the end of each patient day, completing any physician requests.
• Pulls prescription refill requests and obtains approval from physician to refill.
• Calls or faxes in any orders approved by physician.
• Checks voice mail messages regularly throughout the day and addresses/responds to all inquiries by the end of each day.
• Completes doctor’s disability reports and places a copy of report in patient’s chart.
• Assists in routing completed billing sheet to the appropriate location.
• Maintains clean work area and cabinets.
• Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
• Maintains OSHA logs and keeps up to date for compliance.
• Restocks patient rooms with supplies on a daily basis.
• Inventories and orders medical supplies as needed.
• Checks assigned physicians mail on a daily basis and notifies physician of patients’ lab and test results; meeting times; etc.
• Monitors physician’s schedule on a daily basis.
• Makes appointment confirmation calls as needed. When making a new patient appointment, sends a new patient packet to the patient prior to first appointment.
• Provides back-up telephone coverage for front office as needed.
• Provides back-up to other medical assistants as needed.
• Promotes the purpose, values and foundations of CCFMG at all levels of the organization and to our customers.