Medical Assistant/Front Office Specialist – University Dermatology Associates
JOB PURPOSE: A nonexempt position responsible for preparing patients for exams and procedures; assisting physicians with procedures; taking necessary vital signs and measurements; obtaining and processing lab specimens; greeting and directing patients; checking patients in/out; answering the telephone; data entry of patient demographic information; scheduling appointments, tests and procedures; assisting physician in any other way to ensure effective patient flow.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Graduation from an accredited two-year medical assistant program.
Experience & Certifications:
• Two years work related experience required.
• Current CPR certification required.
• Experience in a dermatology office preferred.
• Certified California Medical Assistant preferred.
o Knowledge of health care field, medical terminology and medical office protocols & procedures.
o Knowledge of specific assisting tasks related to the particular specialty medical practice.
o Basic knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
o Bi-lingual English / Spanish preferred.
o Skill in performing medical assistant tasks appropriately and within the Medical Assistant Scope of Practice.
o Tact and diplomacy with interpersonal interactions.
o Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures.
o Ability to plan, prioritize and complete designated tasks.
o Ability to demonstrate compassion and patience when dealing with patients and patients’
o Ability to project a pleasant and professional image.
o Ability to use multi-line phone system, including transferring calls.
o Ability to speak clearly and loudly enough to be heard and understood by callers and patients.
• Considerable time spent walking and standing for up to four to six hours per day. Some bending, squatting and stooping.
• Must be able to use appropriate body mechanics when making necessary patient transfers and assisting patients with walking, dressing, etc.
• Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Standard medical exam/office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephone systems and may include computerized health information management system for medical records, etc.
• Combination of medical office and exam/procedure room settings. Position is in a well-lighted, well ventilated space.
• Welcomes patients, visitors, physicians and staff in a warm, friendly and professional manner.
• Rooms patients upon arrival, documenting patient’s vital signs and chief complaint in the patient’s chart. Confirms current medication list and any additional information as instructed by the physician.
• Assumes responsibility for assisting physicians with procedures and tests within the Medical Assistant Scope of Practice.
• Two days prior to patient’s appointment, reviews patient’s chart and checks that all pertinent information is up-to-date including current referrals and test results.
• Orders outside testing, obtaining any authorization needed and notifies patient of scheduled appointments.
• Reviews charts at the end of each patient day, completing any physician requests.
• Pulls prescription refill requests and obtains approval from physician to refill.
• Calls or faxes in any orders approved by physician.
• Checks voice mail messages regularly throughout the day and addresses/responds to all inquiries by the end of each day.
• Completes doctor’s disability reports and places a copy of report in patient’s chart.
• Assists in routing completed billing sheet to the appropriate location.
• Maintains clean work area and cabinets.
• Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
• Maintains OSHA logs and keeps up to date for compliance.
• Restocks patient rooms with supplies on a daily basis.
• Inventories and orders medical and office supplies as needed.
• Checks assigned physicians mail on a daily basis and notifies physician of patients’ lab and test results; meeting times; etc.
• Monitors physician’s schedule on a daily basis.
• Answers the telephones by the third ring in a friendly, professional manner.
• Takes complete and accurate messages with the current date and time and delivers messages to the appropriate party as soon as possible.
• Schedules patient appointments for each physician, using their individual protocols. When booking a new patient appointment, sends a new patient information packet.
• At patient check-out, schedules any follow-up appointments with providers.
• Performs data entry of patient demographics, referrals and billing information.
• Sorts and distributes incoming faxes and mail.
• Balances cash drawer daily and prepares daily deposit. Maintains cash log records for manager’s review.
• Makes appointment confirmation calls as needed.
• Documents “no shows” in PCIS system and in the patient’s chart. Calls or sends “no show” letter per office policy and retains copy of letter for patient’s chart.
• Assembles charts and keeps front desk well supplied with office supplies.
• Provides back-up assistance to other office staff members and performs other administrative duties as assigned.