Front Office Specialist – University Medicine Associates
JOB PURPOSE: A nonexempt position responsible for greeting and directing patients, checking patients in and out, answering the telephone, data entry of patient demographic information and other administrative duties in support of the front office operations.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Completion of a two-year medical front office assistant program preferred.
• Minimum one year of work-related experience.
• Experience in a multi-specialty practice a plus.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Basic knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
• Skill in using computer programs and applications.
• Ability to use multi-line phone system, including transferring calls.
• Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to speak clearly and loudly enough to be heard and understood by callers and patients.
• Ability to establish effective working relationships with patients, employees, physicians and the public.
• Involves sitting approximately 80 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder.
• Some bending, stooping and must be able to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Ability to assist patients from a sitting position to exam room and/or exam table.
• Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephone systems, etc.
• Position is in a well-lighted office environment.
• Greets incoming and outgoing patients and visitors with a warm and friendly welcome.
• Answers the telephones by the third ring in a friendly, professional manner.
• Takes complete and accurate messages with the current date and time and delivers messages to the appropriate party as soon as possible.
• Schedules patient appointments for each physician, using their individual protocols. When booking a new patient appointment, sends a new patient information packet.
• At patient check-in, completes and or updates patient information in chart for the medical assistant; checks authorizations and scans into patient account; accepts co-payments; makes copy of insurance information/card, and; follows “Red Flag” policy confirming patient’s identification, including taking patient’s photo and verifying two forms of patient identification.
• At patient check-out, schedules any follow-up appointments with providers.
• Pulls charts one week prior to patient’s appointment. Prepares the chart checking for insertion of current referral, authorizations, lab work, imaging CD’s, reports and any other testing results.
• Maintains, cleans and organizes the patient reception area as needed. Ensures video loop in waiting area is running.
• Performs data entry of patient demographics, referrals and billing information.
• Sorts and distributes incoming faxes and mail.
• Batches encounter forms for the billing office.
• Balances cash drawer daily and prepares daily deposit. Maintains cash log records for manager’s review.
• Makes patient confirmation calls as directed.
• Documents “no shows” in PCIS system and in the patient’s chart. Calls or sends “no show” letter per office policy and retains copy of letter for patient’s chart.
• Assembles charts and keeps front desk well supplied with office supplies.
• Inventories and stocks office supplies.
• Provides back-up assistance to other office staff members and performs other administrative duties as assigned.