Front Office Specialist/Sleep Tech Assistant – University Sleep and Pulmonary Associates
A nonexempt position responsible for greeting and directing patients, answering the telephone, data entry of patient demographic information and other administrative duties in support of the front office operations, assisting a Polysomnographer Technician in ordering C-pap machines, obtaining insurance authorizations as required, and assisting with downloads of C-pap machine data and sleep studies.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Graduation from an accredited EMT program preferred or
• Graduation from an Medical Assistant Program
Experience & Certifications:
• Medical Assistant certification required.
• Current CPR certification required.
• Minimum two years of work-related experience in a medical office preferred.
• Knowledge of health care field, medical terminology and medical office protocols & procedures.
• Knowledge of specific assisting tasks related to the particular specialty medical practice.
• Comply with applicable laws, guidelines and standards regarding safety/infection control issues.
• Follow HIPPA policies to maintain the privacy and security of patient information.
• Bi-lingual English / Spanish preferred.
• Excellent customer service skills
• Tact and diplomacy with interpersonal interactions.
• Able to work hands-on with patients.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills and basic knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel.
• Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and complete designated tasks.
• Ability to demonstrate compassion and patience when dealing with patients and patient’s families.
• Ability to project a pleasant and professional image.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
• Considerable time spent walking and standing for up to four to six hours per day.
• Must be able to use appropriate body mechanics when making necessary patient transfers and assisting patients.
• Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Frequent interaction with a varied and diverse patient population.
• Employee may be exposed to chemical vapors such as cleaning and disinfecting solutions. There may also be skin contact with these substances.
• Employee may be exposed to infectious agents including bloodborne pathogens
• Standard medical exam/office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephone systems and may include computerized health information management system for medical records, etc.
• Combination of medical office and exam/procedure room settings. Position is in a well-lighted, well ventilated space.
• Welcomes patients, visitors, physicians and staff in a friendly and professional manner.
• Answers the telephones by the third ring in a friendly, professional manner.
• Takes complete and accurate messages with the current date and time and delivers messages to the appropriate party as soon as possible.
• Schedules patient appointments for each physician, using their individual protocols. When booking a new patient appointment, sends a new patient information packet.
• Sorts and distributes incoming faxes and mail.
• Makes patient confirmation calls as directed.
• Rooms patients upon arrival. Confirms current medication list and any additional information as instructed by the physician.
• Review the patient’s history and verify the medical order.
• Follow sleep center protocols related to patient care.
• Obtains imaging CD’s and files for physician to evaluate patient prior to patient’s visit.
• Orders C-pap machines and obtains any authorizations needed.
• Returns patient calls in efficient manner.
• Calls or faxes in any orders approved by physician.
• Downloads C-pap machine data and sleep studies.
• Cleans and sanitizes sleep equipment according to written protocols.
• Maintains OSHA and any other required logs.
• Inventories and orders medical supplies as needed.
• Monitors the schedule on a daily basis.
• Maintains clean work area and cabinets.
• Provides back-up assistance to other office staff members and performs other administrative duties as assigned.