Appointment Scheduler – University Medicine Associates
JOB PURPOSE: A nonexempt position responsible for making appointments for patients following medical practice procedures. Tasks may be integrated into another position, e.g., receptionist/ registration clerk or medical assistant.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Graduation from a medical office assistant training program.
• Minimum two years of experience in an appointment scheduling position, preferably in a medical office setting.
• Knowledge of medical practice protocols related to scheduling appointments.
• Knowledge of computerized scheduling systems.
• Knowledge of customer service principles and techniques.
• Skill communicating effectively with physicians about scheduling preferences.
• Ability to multi-task effectively, dealing with phone calls, in-office patients, staff, and others pleasantly.
• Ability to communicate calmly and clearly with patients about appointments in all circumstances including when they are ill or have an emergency.
• Ability to analyze situations and respond appropriately.
• Mainly sedentary with some standing, walking and reaching.
• Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
• Daily and repetitive data entry requiring proper ergonomic techniques.
• Periodic stress from handling many calls and patient requests.
• Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephone systems, etc.
• Position is in a well-lighted office environment.
• Schedules appointments for patients either by phone when they call in or in person after an office visit.
• Schedules all patient appointments from outside referring physicians.
• Obtains prior authorizations and referrals from insurance companies.
• Uses computerized system to match physician availability with patients’ preferences in terms of date and time.
• Maintains scheduling system so records are accurate and complete and can be used to analyze patient/staffing patterns.
• Contacts the laboratory, radiology, hospital, physician and patient with appointment time(s) and other pertinent information.
• Arranges and communicates any special instructions.
• Provides daily schedules to physicians or medical assistants prior to each day’s visits. Copies are made available for the front office specialist and others as needed.
• Ensures that updates, e.g., cancellations or additions are input daily into the master schedule.
• Communicates as needed with physicians and other staff about any patient concerns/issues related to scheduling. Consults with office manager about any system problems.
• Uses customer service principles and techniques to deal with patients calmly and pleasantly.
• Provides back-up to other staff members and performs other administrative duties as assigned.
• Promotes the purpose, values and foundations of CCFMG at all levels of the organization and to our customers.